Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

  1. #11
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    When I was in college I was going full time, and I had a full time job cuz I had 2 little girls I had to support. During that time I worked for a furniture store for 2-3 years and I stacked lumber for 2-3 years. Working 40 hours per week was a necessity to me, so I missed quite a bit of class. My GPA suffered, but I got a degree and my family never went without necessities....
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    Quote Originally Posted by sup-rbeast View Post
    When I was in college I was going full time, and I had a full time job cuz I had 2 little girls I had to support. During that time I worked for a furniture store for 2-3 years and I stacked lumber for 2-3 years. Working 40 hours per week was a necessity to me, so I missed quite a bit of class. My GPA suffered, but I got a degree and my family never went without necessities....

    No sure what you are getting at.......My Mom did that after my dad passed away only she had to do it after being out of school for 15 years.......Another situation would be a guy I when to collage with that worked the hootowl in the mines and would go to class full time during the day (I can't remember him missing a class but he did nod off a few times during them LOL).........I also remember several kids that lived on campus but hardly ever went to class

    My point is that (to me) it seemed like the people who were older or paying there own way took collage WAY more serios than those who had "Mom and Dad" footing the bill

    I am not meaning to be a cold ******* about any of this and IF Collage was free I would most like take advantage of it myself to get my Masters however with no penalty for failure (it is not costing me anything) I am not sure about my modavation if other parts of my life got complacated......Think of it like this My company pays for my training but they expect me to use my training to become cirtified and if I fail to do so they expect there money back........If we are going to make Collage Free (as you suggest) I think that there should be some sort of built in penality/Modavation to not wast time and money

  3. #13
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    Quote Originally Posted by Counts View Post
    Well cutting classes does suck.

    As far as it being free that SOUNDS good but it also sounds alot like HS how long would it take before some well meaning lawmaker comes out with "No Adult Left behind" LOL.........All kidding aside I could get behind a program where HS is extended (2 years maybe) teaching only collage credit basic classes so that collage gets more speclized i.e a Math major need not pay for english 101 or Art as they were taken care of in grade 13 (14?)


    I look for the trend of more and more online classes to be added and while I think that they are better than nothing they can not replace an actual classroom
    They basically have that...it's called community college. It helped me out a lot.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  4. #14
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    If you look at high school, it isn't exactly free either. Look at the fees that are imposed on students now, when I went to high school, the only thing we had to pay a fee for was for an extra curricular activity and that was a privilege. Nowadays, fees are imposed on anything from, fees for classroom supplies to parking in the school parking lot,(which I think) is bull. No student should be able to bring their car to school unless they are a senior.

    As far as adding another 2 years to high school for classes offered at the college level, don't they do that now with the dual enrollment? When my kids, with the exception of
    D.J., the parents had to pay the tuition and supply cost for this out of their own pocket. Now, the school system pays for this. So, adding 2 years to high school is not warranted.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    Quote Originally Posted by sup-rbeast View Post
    They basically have that...it's called community college. It helped me out a lot.

    LOL I was thinking exactly that but was afraid that it would be taken as a slam to CC students

    I was just replying to the Free Collage that you brought up in that if you could make the 1st 2 years of collage free(By turning it into HS) it cuts the cost of a 4 year degree in half (Yes the Local School Districts would get hit with extra cost but someone has to pay somewhere)

  6. #16
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    Quote Originally Posted by Counts View Post
    No sure what you are getting at.......My Mom did that after my dad passed away only she had to do it after being out of school for 15 years.......Another situation would be a guy I when to collage with that worked the hootowl in the mines and would go to class full time during the day (I can't remember him missing a class but he did nod off a few times during them LOL).........I also remember several kids that lived on campus but hardly ever went to class

    My point is that (to me) it seemed like the people who were older or paying there own way took collage WAY more serios than those who had "Mom and Dad" footing the bill

    I am not meaning to be a cold ******* about any of this and IF Collage was free I would most like take advantage of it myself to get my Masters however with no penalty for failure (it is not costing me anything) I am not sure about my modavation if other parts of my life got complacated......Think of it like this My company pays for my training but they expect me to use my training to become cirtified and if I fail to do so they expect there money back........If we are going to make Collage Free (as you suggest) I think that there should be some sort of built in penality/Modavation to not wast time and money
    I had been out of school for 3 years before I went to college....my mom and dad didn't pay a dime for my education. Furthermore, even if it were free, failing grades would signal the end of getting it for free.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  7. #17
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    Quote Originally Posted by Counts View Post
    LOL I was thinking exactly that but was afraid that it would be taken as a slam to CC students

    I was just replying to the Free Collage that you brought up in that if you could make the 1st 2 years of collage free(By turning it into HS) it cuts the cost of a 4 year degree in half (Yes the Local School Districts would get hit with extra cost but someone has to pay somewhere)
    With the financial aid available at community colleges, it's not very expensive as it is.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    Quote Originally Posted by sup-rbeast View Post
    I had been out of school for 3 years before I went to college....my mom and dad didn't pay a dime for my education. Furthermore, even if it were free, failing grades would signal the end of getting it for free.
    Neather did mine and I finished paying off my lones about 5 years ago (Which is why I have a tough time with folks complaining about the tution becouse while it sucks to have that hanging over you starting out I also think it serves as an insentive to succed......Of the folks I knew well in collage the ones paying there on way tended to work harder the ones with Mommy or Daddy paying the way were more likly to join half a dozen clubs and take 6 years to graduate

    Most of the folks I knew in the service got a good chunk of there collage paid for (Which I have no problem with meaning if the kids/adults that want to take advantage of free collage then there should be some type of tradeoff i.e milatery service or something of the sort)

  9. #19
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Tuition keeps rising and rising....

    Counts, if someone isn't worried about their future and having a successful/easier life doesn't motivate them, then they probably don't have any motivation anyway whether or not who paid for it. It's really gotten to the point that you must have some kind of higher education to survive in the world, a free college education will eventually be necessary if this country wants to continue...or have a lack of qualified workers in a lot of fields.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •